Client Intake Volunteer
Responsible to: Community Relations Director
General Job Description:
Welcome and register clients. Assess needs; provide or explain programs and services.
- Welcome clients upon arrival.
- Explain DenUM programs and services to clients.
- Complete intake using agency database (training provided); assess needs of clients
- Assist clients directly or through referral.
- Monitor public areas for cleanliness and order; assist where necessary
- Help client carry items out of DenUM lobby when unable to do so themselves
- Work with staff and clients as necessary to maintain a safe DenUM environment for all.
Special Skills Required:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Some data entry required (training provided)
- Must demonstrate poise compassion and non-judgment toward clients.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, and life food bags (20-25 lbs)
- 2-4 hour shifts during open business hours
- M/T/Th/F 9 am-3:30 pm, Wed 9am-12pm. Schedule can be accommodated for weekly, monthly or project-based commitments. Volunteers are asked to commit to serving at least one morning or afternoon shift per week.
- Helping those most in need to meet their basic needs for food, clothing, shelter, employment and transportation.
- Taking an integral role in the direct service of a nonprofit organization “in the trenches”
- Meeting other volunteers and sharing interests.
- Developing a greater understanding of the role and mission of DenUM and its programs
- Learning about the barriers and systemic problems faced by those in poverty and crisis situations
- Continuing education events, volunteer reception
- A minimum of 4 hours of orientation covering emergency procedures, DenUM rules and program regulations, resource management and facility tour
- Seven hours of database training
- Continuing education throughout the year
- A mentor program with experienced staff members is available to new volunteers