Summer Urban Education Program Specialist
In accordance with the general policies and mission established by the DenUM Board of Directors, the Urban Education specialist works within the Community Relations Department focused on Urban Education. The employee’s efforts will expand volunteerism and increase awareness of poverty, hunger and homelessness in Denver and Colorado for middle school, high school, and university students.
Reports to, and supports, the efforts of the DenUM Urban Education Manager to provide a meaningful and educational experience to participants in the Urban Ed programs. Responsible for co-facilitating youth groups; accompanying youth groups on service projects; facilitation on-site volunteer experiences; and working in the Choice Food Pantry doing personal shopping with clients, conducting client intakes, and in other pantry support roles.
This is a part-time position, with a flexible 20 hour work week, which runs from June 1st through August 15th, 2017.
This position may also be completed as a summer internship for approved Masters of Social Work programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide excellent customer service to service-learning and mission trip youth groups participating in Urban Education programming.
- Support the Urban Education Manager by co-facilitating activities to increase awareness of poverty, homelessness, and hunger for youth groups from Colorado and throughout the USA.
- Accompany youth groups to service projects. Provide support, answer questions, and offer meaningful context about poverty, hunger, and homelessness.
- Facilitate short-term volunteer experiences within the DenUM Choice Food Pantry.
- Work within the Choice Food Pantry to ensure that all DenUM client families have a positive and satisfactory experience. Alternate between personal shopping, intakes, and pantry support roles.
- Attend required meetings and special events.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Informal or formal experience working with youth.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with diverse people.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Must be able to use hands, reach, twist, and sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to stand, lift, and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Requires the ability to speak, read, write, see, and hear to perform essential duties of the job.
- Ability to work under and effectively handle stress and pressure.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working with faith communities.
- Experience in group facilitation and presentations.
- Participation in service or mission trips.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
Denver Urban Ministries certifies that in regard to persons served by the organization, volunteers working on behalf of the organization, persons employed as staff of the organization, and persons serving on the governing board of the organization, that Denver Urban Ministries does not discriminate by reason of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, military status, or physical or mental disability.
Denver Urban Matters (DenUM) is a unique community of clients, volunteers and staff members situated on East Colfax in the diversely populated Capitol Hill neighborhood of Denver. As equal members of this community, we embrace an intentional effort to realize our mission through an increasing commitment to inclusivity.
DenUM is committed to acting in opposition to all forms of discrimination and other oppressions, intentional and otherwise. Acknowledging that our differences make us stronger, DenUM values and celebrates diversity by engaging the strengths and talents of those in our community. While striving to be adaptable to the ever-changing social transformation that we seek, our staff engages others to find innovate and helpful ways to advocate and act for social justice.
All members of the DenUM community are respected and embraced as unique and welcomed to a safe and affirming environment. We value the many identities that an individual brings to the community and honor and appreciate the intersections of these identities. We aim to extend grace to each individual as they bring the whole of who they are to our collective work. The diversity of experience and circumstance within our community strengthens our common humanity as we strive for equity.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com